Street Use of LED Bulbs
Within the United States, most automotive lighting equipment is regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT). Lighting equipment that is regulated by DOT must comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108, in order to be used legally on public roads.
Headlights and headlight bulbs are regulated by DOT, and must comply with the requirements of FMVSS108. There is currently no provision within these regulations to legally replace halogen headlamp bulbs with retrofit LED bulb replacements. As a result, retrofit LED bulbs may not be used in headlights on public roads in the United States.
Fog lamps and fog light bulbs are not regulated by federal safety standards. When used in compliance with any applicable state or local laws, LED fog light bulbs are considered street-legal for use in the United States.
Based on these regulations, headlamp retrofit LED bulbs are not available for purchase from Diode Dynamics for street use in the United States. We recognize that certain vehicles can be used exclusively off of public roads (off-street), for recreational, utility, or transport purposes. In the United States, only vehicles that are exclusively used off-street may purchase and use LED headlamp retrofit bulbs from Diode Dynamics.
Only vehicles which are strictly and exclusively limited to off-street use qualify as off-street vehicles. Mixed use (sometimes driven on public roads, and sometimes driven off-street) do not qualify as off-street use vehicles. If a vehicle is driven on public roads at all, the vehicle does not qualify as off-street use. If the vehicle has registration and license plates, it would not be considered an off-street use vehicle. Please review the following vehicle uses and permissible use of LED retrofit headlight bulbs:
- Fog Lights: Bulbs not regulated by DOT. Street Legal, depending on state and local laws.
- Street Vehicle Headlights (registered, used on public roads): Headlight bulbs regulated by DOT. Not legal for sale or use in the United States.
- Mixed-Use Vehicle Headlights (registered, some use on public roads): Headlight bulbs regulated by DOT. Not legal for sale or use in the United States.
- Off-Street Use ATV/UTV: Not regulated by DOT. Legal for sale and use.
- Off-Street Use Snowmobile: Not regulated by DOT. Legal for sale and use.
- Off-Street Use Agricultural Equipment: Not regulated by DOT. Legal for sale and use.
- Off-Street Use Construction Equipment: Not regulated by DOT. Legal for sale and use.
- Off-Street Use Racing Vehicle: Not regulated by DOT. Legal for sale and use.
Diode Dynamics makes products available for sale internationally. International customers should consult their own laws and regulations before purchase, to determine the appropriate and proper use of LED bulbs within their region.